Unseasonal weather sees rise in claims for Police Mutual

Friday, 20 July, 2012

Heavy rain and storms have lashed Britain for weeks, leading to an unseasonal rise in weather-related car and home insurance claims for Police Mutual.

Police Mutual is already helping a few unfortunate members whose properties have been damaged by floods - and with the unsettled weather conditions set to continue, the number of claims could rise.

At the end of June, a freak hail storm in Leicestershire battered the county with hailstones the size of golf balls, accompanied by torrential rain and even a tornado, causing widespread damage to cars and homes.

As a result, Police Mutual is handling claims for damage to 28 cars, including broken windows, smashed headlights and dented bodywork, as well as 14 claims for damage to properties.

Police Mutual's Commercial Director, James Henderson, said: "Sadly, the unsettled weather is expected to continue so make sure you're fully insured in case the worst happens. Floods can cause thousands of pounds worth of damage, but even if you don't live in a flood risk area, heavy rain can cause drains and gutters to overflow which can also cause significant damage to your property.
"If your car is comprehensively insured, the sort of damage witnessed in Leicestershire should usually be covered by your policy, while damage to property caused by the weather should also be covered by your buildings insurance.
"We focus on helping our members quickly if they do have to make a claim."
If your home has been damaged by flood water:

• Stay out of the property until you're sure it's safe to return. There may be structural damage and you won't know what hidden dangers may be lurking in the water until it recedes.

• Call your home insurance company as soon as possible. They can then advise you on what to do next, such as finding alternative accommodation or local repair specialists etc. In most cases they'll send out a loss adjuster to assess what repairs or replacements are needed and what's covered by your policy.

• If your home is rented, contact your landlord and your contents insurance company

• Visit the Environment Agency's website, environment-agency.gov.uk, for up to date flood warnings and advice

• Even if your home wasn't affected by recent floods, store your home and motor insurance details in your mobile phone in case you need them in an emergency and can't get into your home to find your policy

Police Mutual is the largest scheme provider of home and motor insurance to the Police in the UK, with over 90% of home insurance customers choosing to renew their policy last year.

Membership is open to the whole Police family, including serving and retired officers and staff, PCSOs and Specials - as well as their partners, siblings, children and grandchildren.

For more information about Police Mutual home and car insurance, visit the website:

Return to news menu