PCSO helps to save a man's life whilst stranded at airport

Tuesday, 20 April, 2010

A PCSO, whose flight to Mexico was cancelled because of the dust cloud from the Volcano, has been praised after helping to save a man's life whilst he was at the airport.

Around 5pm on Thursday afternoon (15 April) PCSO Mark Brooks was at Manchester Airport waiting for news about his flight to Mexico which had been delayed because of the Volcano disruption, when he heard a thud behind him. He turned to discover a man had collapsed and was having a fit on the floor. He was not breathing and had no pulse.

PCSO Brooks rushed over to help and immediately called for an ambulance. He protected the man's head and cleared his airways before starting CPR. After four chest compressions, the man, who was still unconscious, started to breath for himself.

Within a few minutes, paramedics arrived but PCSO Brooks continued to help clear the man's airwaves before he was taken to hospital.

PCSO Brooks said: "When I saw the man lying on the floor I didn't hesitate to go over and help. I tilted his head back and used my t shirt to clear his airways

"People were stood around panicking and not knowing what to do. There was a lot of blood on his face from the fall and I couldn't find a pulse. He wasn't breathing and his face was very blue.

"I started chest compressions and was very relieved when he let out a big gasp of air. Thankfully, I have just completed my first aid refresher course last month, which gave me the confidence to administer CPR until the paramedics arrived.

"I was really pleased to have helped the man and I hope that he goes on to make a full recovery."

Geographic Inspector Andy Winter praised the officer for his quick-thinking actions.

He added: "Marc has shown great skill and composure in a very challenging situation. I am extremely proud of what he has achieved and he is a credit to the force."

Twenty-three year-old Marc Brooks has worked as a PCSO in Accrington for three years and two months.

He was recently presented with a Chief Superintendents Commendation for helping to save the life of a woman who was suffering from an allergic reaction, outside Accrington police station last summer.

In May 2009, March was one of three officers who carried out CPR on an elderly man who suffered a heart attack on Union Street, Accrington. Unfortunately the man later died at hospital.

PCSO Brooks was due to fly to Cancun in Mexico on Thursday morning. He is hoping his flight will be rescheduled for later this week.

Return to news menu